Thursday, January 15, 2009

Almost 3 Months!!

I hope everyone has been able to stay warm during these fridged days this week. Of course, Jackson and I haven't seen much of the outdoors lately. Too cold to take him out there.
Things are going really well here, despite not getting fresh air :). Can't wait for spring so we can be active again. He is smiling so much and beginning to laugh out loud. I love getting him up from his nap. I go in and peer over the crib to his eyes open and he usually doesn't turn to look at me if he's focused on the stuffed animals. But once he hears my voice he flashes a huge grin. Melts my heart! He is so happy during the day and I am lucky to be able to be home with him. Of course we (I) sing songs almost all day long and his face just lights up! I read him books because I love to watch him focus on the pages. When I put him down for his naps, I swaddle him and rock him while I sing to him... he is making little moaning/humming noises behind his nuk and I think he's trying to sing with me. Only at nap time does he do that :).

We've been sleep training him lately. It's been two weeks since I started putting Jackson in his crib for naps rather than letting him fall asleep on my chest while I watched my soap operas :) I really loved that time when he'd lay stomach down on me for a few hours at a time. I knew it was time to move on from that, but I really do miss it! I have been following the guidance of a book from a Pediatrican who specializes in children's sleep patterns. I have been pretty good to keeping Jackson's wakefulness to just less than 2 hours before beginning to sooth him back to sleep for a nap. This prevents overtiredness which keeps the baby well rested and capable of learning more during the day. If Jackson wakes up for a feeding at 6am, I can expect him to fall asleep immedately after until about 10-10:30am. In this case, that included his morning nap. But if he wakes up in the morning around 7am or later, he is usually up for an hour - hour/half before I start to sooth him down and he'll sleep 3 hours for me, waking up at 11am. He's at the right age where the morning nap develop first. It will be a few weeks yet before his brain can arrange more daytime sleep into an afternoon nap as well. Right now, the afternoon is filled with about 3-4 short naps (30-45 mins). We have begun to start his bedtime routine (bathtime, feeding, rocking/singing) around 7pm so he's in his crib by 8pm. The timing all depends on when his previous nap ended and how long he slept. However, jackson has started a habit of waking up crying after about 30 mins. of being put down for bed. We have let him cry himself back to sleep, which has been working. It usually only take 20 mins. or less. He then sleeps until 6-8am. And so cycle continues :) I actually feel like I know what I'm doing now. Before, when it was completely up to him as to when he was hungry and when he was sleepy... that is hard for an adult who lives on schedules and routine. So now that we're able to have a rough pattern to our daily lives, I feel better because I know what to expect and how to prepare for that.

I am going out with a friend of mine, Crystal and a few of her friends this Saturday night. I think this will be very good for me. I need to allow Paul to take the bedtime routine on his own to make Jackson alittle more flexible. He'll be more flexible than me I'm sure :). I am really looking forward to getting out for an evening... I just hope I make it past 10pm :).
Please check out a few more updated videos posted on the link list to the left hand column. Jackson is changing so fast!!

No comments: