Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Beginning to create my little girl's room

This project is only the 1st of many - for my soon to be - new arrival :) I am 24 weeks along and getting a head start!

I was browsing Michael's today for something specific and of course I was totally bombarded by other ideas for my baby girl's room. I have the color palette chosen and the paints chosen, so now the little detailing matters have been consuming my thoughts.

I came across a small handheld bouquet for $4.99. There were a bunch of gerbera colors to choose from and if they had orange - I would have gotten it, but instead I got to improvise! I grabbed the green gerberas and a stock of orange flowers (40% off of $9.99). Here was my project:

To replace a few gerberas with the orange flowers by using my wire cutters and sticking the new flowers into the oasis ball. I removed the unflattering lighter green flowers and kept the bright green ones. Then my thoughts expanded when I pulled out some pink ribbon to wrap around the base...

I created double loops of ribbon to insert through the bouquet to give a splash of pink.
Here were the materials: my pink ribbon, scissors and sticks with light weight wire attached (found at your local craft store in the floral department) I have a bunch of these left over from my floral shoppe days.

Create the loops

 
Place the stick with the wire end up, in the middle of the loop base. Begin to wrap the wire around the ribbon, holding the whole thing tightly to secure the wrap.


Your finished loops


Holding the bouquet firmly, insert the stick into the oasis foam in the desires areas. I added 6 double ribbon accents to the arrangement.

Using a hot glue gun, I attached more of the pink ribbon around the base of flower stems to cover the arrangement's unsightly floral tape.


And there is the first of many projects completed for my baby girl's room!



40

9 comments:

紹軍紹軍 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
{:miss v:} said...

Wow, great job! That is gorgeous! Can't wait to see the rest!

Caroline said...

Looks Awesome , I love it.

Caroline

amanda said...

what a great idea!! can't wait to see more. i wish i was half as creative!

AFD said...

That is so precious. I have a few more things for you...I keep getting freebies and cheepies, and I don't have babies anymore :( So I get to give them to you!

Amber said...

Great Job! I love it! :)

Unknown said...

Cute!!!

Holly said...

April, I absolutely love what you've done! That is sooo neat! I've actually been thinking of redoing the theme for the nursery. We bought a sea life theme that was neutral for Kyndra with intentions to use it for every baby but if we end up adding to our house I may do something different.

PotterMama said...

Im jealous! I love those colors! Your so creative!