Tuesday, December 29, 2009

And the train rolls on...

Goodness, where to begin?

I have taken a break for a few weeks from posting because quite frankly, my heart wasn't in it anymore. Or at least the emotions I was feeling... only made me feel worse when I started to type.

I want to thank everyone full heartedly for your support and encouraging words for my family. I was so touched and proud that many of you visited my mother's Caring Bridge site and felt her encouraging wisdom and prayers as well. It is so comforting to hear the success stories of others whom have encountered cancer within their families. Everytime we hear someone say "I have been Cancer Free for 5 years!", what wonderful news!

Here is what we know regarding my mother's cancer:

This type of breast cancer is Duct Infiltrating Carcinoma. We were overjoyed to hear that the cancer was contained within left breast nodule only. There was no evidence that it had spread to her lymph nodes. Mom has been classified as Stage 1. What wonderful news that was for us!

My mother underwent a full mastectomy on her right side. They removed all the breast tissue and implanted a deflated saline implant. The plan is to slowly fill up the implant over a matter of several weeks to stretch the growing tissue/skin. This way in the future there will be enough breast tissue to support a full augmented implant.

She is feeling very optimistic about the recovery from this operation, however she is very apprehensive about the upcoming (unknown) chemotherapy treatment. Because of her age (49), the doctors said she will most definitely receive some type of chemo. Mom will be meeting with an oncologist in the near future to discuss the necessary plan of action. We have been told that she will more than likely need intraveinous chemo, and this part scares her greatly.

But over all, things have been looking up for us! THe train rolls on and we are just along for the ride. We have already begun to see the work that God has started from this experience. Many old relationships have been revived... but that is for another post. The photo posted is from the day after Christmas, my parents, my brother and I. Taken 10 days after her operation... she would never let you know it!

I will be back to share our Christmas photos soon. Anyone tired of seeing Christmas photos yet?
Can you believe it?... my camera BROKE right before Christmas! I have been sans camera for almost a month now and it's horrible!

Thank you for checking in!

Dawn's Caring Bridge Site
40

7 comments:

Elyse said...

I have been wondering where you were! You mom is in my thoughts and prayers daily. The train will roll on but you are also allowed a break every now and then. HUGS!
~Elyse

Mom and Dad said...

April
How beautifully written. And thank you to the many of April blog friends for the uplifting comments on my caring bridge site. They mean so much and I read them all. God is listening to your prayers.

With love,

( PS.... the affected breast is my right breast)

Paige said...

April,
I am so sorry for what your family has been going through, I must have totally missed your originaly post. My MIL was diagnosed my husbands junior year in high school- has been cancer free for 8 years now!! Your mom will be in my prayers!

Holly said...

It's nice to hear from you April. I have definitely been praying for your mom and for you too. I keep up with your mom's site although it's a little difficult to keep up with anything right now since our home computer is on the fritz.

Kelly said...

Your mom and entire family are in my prayers! {{hugs}}

Unknown said...

What wonderful news! I am really happy for you all! God is good!

Kari said...

April... It was nice to get a comment from you the other day. I am sorry to hear about your mom's diagnosis, but it appears it was caught early enough to take care of it at the root. Your mom sounds like a very strong woman and it is very admirable to hear of her courage. I hope that you will find the strength you need at this time, in Him. Our mom's are so precious to us- I'm sure this news wasn't easy to get. But God is our source of all we need and He will be with all of you. I'm going to send you an email tonight of something that you may like to use. Hugs to you and your family. Awesome photo!!!!